The Medieval Combat Society |
|
|


Location: Church Road, East Harling, Norfolk, NR16 2NB
Website: http://www.eastharling.com/eh.html
Opening Information: Open during the day with key holder information listed
History:
The main door and lower part of the church were built around 1300 and church was rebuilt, being completed in 1450. The Jesus Chapel was built between 1463 and 1485 and through this is an archway to the Chapel of St Anne containing an Easter Sepulchre and to the founder Lady Anne who died in 1502 and her first husband Sir William Chamberlayne d 1462.
Rectors:
1289 William De La Menewaryn
1332 William Bygod, Patron Symon Bygod
1349 John Gonville, Patron John de Herling
1357 Hugh Pain, Patron John de Herling
1374 Richard Hunte, Patron Sir John Herling
1374 Reginald de Hulton, Patron Sir John Herling
1393 John Peyte, Patron Sir Stephen de Hales
Effigies:
The effigy in the south aisle Lady Chapel is said to be Sir Robert Harling who married Jane or Joan Gunville or Gonville offspring Anne (d 18 Sep 1498). It would appear that the tomb was not made until after 1460 for, on Sunday 9 March of that year, William Worcester rode over to East Harling with a Norwich 'Marbeler' to see about the making of the tomb for Sir Robert Harling, who was Fastolf's nephew. Originally only a knights effigy was here but his wife was added at a later date.
The inscription was transcribed from a brass plate of his tomb by the Rev. David Tho. Powell in 1813 "Within this polished marble is entombed Robert Harlying Knight a man noble in feats of arms. His fame flourished - well known amongst many of its natives of France - at length mangled by force of arms he died at Paris - He fell in the year one thousand four hundred and thirty five on the feast of Gregory - Also the ninth day of September 1435"
However the armour appears to be much earlier than the dates given above, so the base of the tomb may be for Sir Robert's father Sir John Herling (b 1379, East Herling, Norfolk, England, d June 1403, East Herling, Norfolk, England) married (1400, East Herling, Norfolk, England) Cecily de Mortimer (b 1384, Newnham, Cambridgeshire, England, died 1423 Bordeaux, Gironde, Aquitaine, France). Cicilia later married (1411) Sir John "The Good" Radclyffe (b about 1378, Attelborough, Norfolk, England, died after 26 Feb 1440-1441) son of Sir James Radclyffe and Joan Tempest.
The following record has also been noted Sir John Herling (b about 1346, d after 1372) married (after 1372, d after 1372) Margaret Jenny (b 1350) offspring Margaret de Herling (b 1372)
Evidence for the effigy being of an earlier date that Tomb below is as follows:
For comparison to similar armour types view the following effigies
Sir William Chamberlayne (d 1462) and Lady Anne (d 1502)
Matrice of Brass of Sir William Chamberlayne (d 1462) and Lady Anne (d 1502).
Sir Thomas Lovell (d 12 December 1604) and Dame Alice (d 1 September 1602)
Brasses: None
Piscina


Medieval Wall Painting

|
The Medieval Combat Society |